Buy Philipponnat Champagne online
Champagne Philipponnat was founded in 1910 in Mareuil-sur-Ay. The Philipponnat family, originally from Fribourg in Switzerland, moved to Aÿ in 1522. The ancestor of April Philipponnat was a soldier of King François. Having proved his bravery during the Battle of Marignan, the king rewarded him by granting him land at Aÿ. The house owns a vineyard of 21 hectares, mainly planted with Pinot Noir and distributed in the towns of Aÿ, Avenay-Val-d'Or, Mareuil-sur-Ay and Mutigny. Today, Charles Philipponnat, representative of the sixteenth generation, watches over the destiny of the House.
The know-how Philipponnat expresses itself in particular is the principle of solera under wood. Tradition of the house since time immemorial, it consists in keeping the reserve wines in oak casks and reintroducing them in the assembly of the non-vintage ones in the proportion of a quarter to a third, then using this same assembly as the Reserve wine from the next assembly. In this way, a gradual dilution makes it possible to keep in each bottle the trace of the vintages assembled since the origin. The successive Chefs de Cave have endeavored to transmit this know-how.
Philipponnat was also the first House to specify on its counter-labels the dominant "base" year in the composition of its non-vintage wines, the dosage and the date of disgorgement, thus communicating to its prescribers and consumers the identity of each Cuvée.