- Show All
- Ao Yun
- Barons de Rothschild
- Bruno Paillard
- Charles Heidsieck
- Cos d'Estournel
- Dom Perignon
- Hambledon Vineyard
- Hattingley Valley
- Louis Jadot
- Louis Roederer
- Moet & Chandon
- Palmer & Co
- Pol Roger
- Veuve Clicquot
- Wiston Estate
Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve NV Champagne
|Mix 12 Price||Mix 6 Price||Single Price||Bottles|
|Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve NV - 75cl||Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve NV - 75cl||£32.95
- 4 bts - 3.0L
|Size||bt per case||In Bond|
|Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve NV
Price per Case
|Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve NV
Price per Case
Charles Heidsieck champagnes have a rich history of being served at various infamous events; it was the chosen Champagne of the European royalty in the late 1800s; a photograph from Robert Falcon Scott's fated expedition to Antarctica shows the party drinking Charles Heidsieck at their Christmas dinner; in 1977 the house produced a special vintage for the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II and in 1981 a 'Royal Wedding Cuvée' was served to celebrate the marriage of Prince Charles and Princess Diana.
Cellar Master: Cyril Brun
Winery Location: Reims | Champagne, France
Champagne Region: Montagne de Reims
Annual Production (bottles): 1,000,000
We are currently selling Charles Heidsieck Brut Réserve NV based on 2008, so 60% of the assemblage is from 2008 and the other 40% is a blend of reserves wines from older vintages.
Vineyards: 100% Grand & Premier Cru | 60 Crus | Chardonnay: Oger | Pinot Noir: Ambonnay | Pinot Meunier: Verneuil
Grape Varieties: 40% Chardonnay, 40% Pinot Noir, 20% Pinot Meunier
Base Vintage: 2008
Reserve Wine: 40%
Ageing: 6 years on the lees
Dosage: 11.2 g/l
Tasting Note: Pale gold with fine and persistent bubbles, this has wonderfully complex aromas of ripe apricot and almond. On the palate it's extremely creamy, rich and fresh and also surprisingly nutty - likely a consequence of the age and high percentage of reserve wines. This is without doubt one of the best non-vintages around.
Just 125 jeroboams of Charles Heidsieck Brut Réserve NV have been released worldwide. This is the first time the House have produced their non-vintage in jeroboam format and they are beautifully presented in a branded Limited Edition wooden gift box (as shown in the bottom left picture).
Extremely powerful nose powers out of the glass! A certain sweet creaminess on the nose. Really quite rich. Very much more rounded and welcoming than the blend based on 2008. Not that many houses have a seven-year-old NV on the market! Real bullseye for the Charles style. Tastes readier than the 2008 base – a real standout.
10 Things Every Wine Lover Should Know About Charles Heidsieck wine-searcher.com, 15th Feb 2016
Vintage Overviews Grand & Premier Crus Explained
Gift Wrapping & Cards - choose these at checkout.
Gift Wrapping: Make your champagne gift even more luxurious with pearlised wrapping paper - select a colour at checkout for £4.95 per bottle.
Greetings Cards: Personalise your gift with a handwritten message - choose your preferred card at checkout for £3.95.
Charles Heidsieck History
When Charles Heidsieck was born in 1822, his uncle, who married into the Piper family was running the Champagne House Piper-Heidsieck. Charles grew up in the vineyards and gained experience at his uncle's business, but his ambitious winemaking philosophy led him to found his own Champagne house in Reims in 1851. He was so proud of his Champagne that he called it after himself and Charles Heidsieck Champagne was born.
A year later, having found success in Europe, Charles took the brave decision to travel over the water to the USA to sell his wares. Here he was one of the first to introduce Champagne successfully to the Country. His vivacious personality gave him notoriety and popularity and he famously became known as 'Champagne Charlie'. An eventful few years were had in America, including being imprisoned in Louisiana on suspicion of being a spy during the Civil War. He was eventually freed by President Lincoln himself and then returned to settle in Champagne.
Unlike his peers Charles viewed himself as a blender and not a grower, he spent most of his money investing in 47 underground chalk cellars dating back to the 11th century instead of land. He began buying grapes from trusted grower families with the expertise going back generations in perfecting the care of their vines. The company now has 60 separate sites to choose from, encompassing a variety of different crus, and some of these plots are cultivated by the fourth or fifth generation of the same family.
Charles Heidsieck is a hand-crafted champagne. The intricacies of its complex make-up have been perfected over the years by one of the most celebrated winemaking teams in Champagne. Between three winemakers they have been awarded Sparkling Winemaker of the Year at the International Wine Challenge, while no other house has won more than twice.
The flagship Cuvée, Brut Réserve, is the house's masterpiece. Many years in the making, the wine is a blend of 60 of the best vineyards, and harvests going back more than 15 years. It is aged in the house's Roman chalk cellars under Reims. They provide an ideal place to age the wine, having a unique combination of constant temperature, high humidity levels, no sound, light or vibration to disturb the wines. The non-vintage Champagne is made with painstaking attention to detail. 60 per cent of the blend is wine vinified that year (using an equal split of the three main Champagne grapes; Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier) and the remaining 40 per cent is a blend of reserve wines - a mixture of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir ranging from between five and 20 years old. There are over 400 to choose from, more than most other Champagne houses. Once the team has decided on the blend, the wine is aged for typically six years on its lees which adds a richness and complexity unrivalled in any other non-vintage Champagne.
Since 2011, the company has been owned by the Descours family - a very positive move, ensuring the company remains family run with a long-term vision for the future. Just recently in early 2015 Cyril Brun took over as cellar master, having been Chef de Cave for many years at Veuve Clicquot.