Same day 2 hour London delivery
Delivery from £8.50 - Price Checker
Next day outside London
order by 17:30
Free 2 day delivery
on £200+ or 6 bottles

Krug Grande Cuvee 166th Edition NV Champagne 75cl

In Stock In stock
Krug Grande Cuvee 166th Edition
expand photo
Size bt per case In Bond
Krug Grande Cuvee 166th Edition NV
Price per Case
75cl 6 £656.00
See Retail Prices
Champagne Krug Overview
Krug Grande Cuvée is the archetype of Krug's philosophy of craftsmanship and savoir faire: a blend of around 120 wines from ten or more different vintages, some of which may have reached twenty years of age. Blending so many vintages gives Grande Cuvée its unique fullness of flavours and aromas, its incredible generosity and its absolute elegance: something impossible to express with the wines of just a single year. Over twenty years are needed to craft each bottle and its exceptional finesse is the result of a stay of at least another six years in the cellars: the first prestige cuvée re-created each year, beyond the very notion of vintage.

This is the 166th creation of Krug Grande Cuvée and the fourth release to display the Edition on the label. The majority 58% is from its base year of 2010 and the remaining 42% is from 10 vintages of reserve wines the oldest being 1998 and the youngest 2009 some 140 wines make up the blend. The 2010 year looked great until August, the cool end to the growing season slowed ripening and most grapes in Champagne were picked early as weather threatened and hence 2010 will be a year of few vintage releases. Krug allowed enough of its plots to reach good maturity while maintaining healthy grapes. The stand out grapes from the vintage were the year's Meunier which had great fruit and energy. Some high quality reserve wines from 2000 helped with structure while the plots in Oger lent a generous ripe fruit roundness to this edition. 45PN 39CH and 16PM - The high percentage of reserve wines in the release has ensured it is of the quality we expect from Krug.

Krug ID: 117005 | Each bottle of Krug Grande Cuvée NV has a Krug ID on the back label which enables you to discover the story of that very bottle. You can do so using the smartphone App or on the Krug website.

News Articles:
Read more about Krug Grande Cuvée Editions in the review of our blind tasting with Jancis Robinson MW here.
Read the write-up of our Krug Grande Cuvée Editions Vertical Tasting here.

Technical Information:
Vineyards: 100% Grand Cru
Grape Varieties: 45% Pinot Noir, 39% Chardonnay, 16% Pinot Meunier
Base Vintage: 2010
Reserve Wine: 42%
Ageing: 7 years on the lees
Disgorged: Winter 2017
Dosage: 6 g/l
Alcohol: 12%
Drink: Now to 2029

Tasting Note: There is a forward aromatic of orange blossom along with ripe and lemon fruits and hints of spice and ginger. The palate is an abundance of flavour with hazelnut, almonds, dried lemon, almonds and brioche are present with hints of honey. Strong and fresh mouthfeel with a long finish.
Krug Grande Cuvee 166th Edition
Jancis Robinson MW,,
Oct 2018
“100% grand cru vineyards. 45% Pinot Noir, 39% Chardonnay, 16% Pinot Meunier. Base vintage 2010 and 42% reserve wine. Seven years' ageing on lees. Disgorged winter 2017. Dosage 6 g/l.
Tasted blind. Lemon yellow. Putty note. Deep straw. Rather yeasty nose with quite a bit of age in evidence. A little loosely textured with a very savoury note. Finishes very dry. Tense.
Drink 2017-2029”
Nick Baker,
The Finest Bubble,
May 2018
“A forward aromatic of orange blossom along with ripe apple and lemon fruits and hints of spice and ginger. The palate is an abundance of flavour with multi layers of hazelnut, almonds, dried lemon, almonds and just starting to show some of that creamy brioche with hints of honey. Strong and fresh mouth-feel that distinctive creamy Krug mouth-feel. All in all another great edition showing champagne based on a weak harvest can with careful selection and high quality reserves wines be very good.”
Bought directly from Moët Hennessy, this is currently held in bond at Vinotheque in Burton-On-Trent, where it is cellared in ideal conditions and for same day deliveries small quantities are held in our London offices in a top of the range Eurocave

Gift Wrapping & Cards - choose these at checkout.

Gift Wrapping: Make your champagne gift even more luxurious with pearlised wrapping paper - select a colour at checkout for £4.95 per bottle.

Greetings Cards: Personalise your gift with a handwritten message - choose your preferred card at checkout for £3.50.

Show all pictures